Sour Dough Bread has always been a favorite in my family. Recent studies have proven that this ancient bread making is a gut healthy go to.
This particular recipe is for a Bread Machine. It contains NO SUGAR. I specifically use Pink Himalayan Salt to add a bit of sweetness. It does contain dairy, but it can be optional.
How to make the Sour Dough Bread Starter
(This starter is a combination of what my grandmother used. The yeast used is to jump start the fermentation process. I changed the bread recipe a bit to accommodate for my bread machine. I do recommend a bread machine if you are going to make bread every day or every other day.)
- 1 C. Non-chlorinated Water Room Temperature
- 1 C Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons Baker’s yeast
Mix in a glass jar and cover with cheese cloth or loose lid.
Keep out of direct sunlight.
Let it sit for 24 hours in a warm place.
STEP TWO: Feed the Starter.
Remove the covering and add 1 C Dechlorinated water and 1 C. Flour. Stir well.
Let sit for 4 to 5 days in a warm location.
You should see fermentation signs such as tiny bubbles on the surface. If no bubbles, move to a warmer spot and wait for a couple more days.
Once the mixture is ready, you’ll need to feed it by adding 1 C Warm Water and 1 C Flour. Let it sit over night. The next day remove 1 C of the starter and repeat the feeding process. The starter can be refrigerated. Just remember to allow the 1 C starter to come to room temperature before bread making.
JTC’s Sour Dough Bread Recipe
This recipe is for a bread machine, but it can be used for ovens.
- 3 Cups Organic, Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 C Non-chlorinated Water- Room Temperature (IMPORTANT!)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ C Organic Powdered Milk (Optional)
- 1 C Sour Dough Starter
- Put 1 C of Starter and 1 C Water in Bread Machine Basket.
- Let set about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add Flour, Salt, Powdered Milk and Olive Oil.
- Set Machine on 1.5 Lb loaf
- Set for desired crust. Medium or Light.
- Close lid and press start.
Simple Ingredients. No High Fructose Corn syrup. No Sugars. No artificial additives.